After reading a lot about ASP.NET vNext I finally found an hour to give it a try. I only got as far as running the first sample webs, but it’s very nice to see it work.
There where some steps I had to take to get it up and running:
https://github.com/aspnet/home is a good starting point. Starting with the command to install the basic kvm script I already got kvm and was almost able to restore packages.
curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/aspnet/Home/master/kvminstall.sh | sh && source ~/.kre/kvm/kvm.sh
The next step was to install Mono from http://www.mono-project.com/docs/getting-started/install/linux/#debian-ubuntu-and-derivatives:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list apt-get update apt-get install mono-complete
Next I cloned the aspnet Home samples:
git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/aspnet/Home.git aspnet.Home cd aspnet.Home/samples/HelloMvc/
Ready to go!
System.IO.IOException: The authentication or decryption has failed. —> Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.TlsException
Some NuGet packages failed to restore because the certificate didn’t seem to be validated on my system. After some searching I found this helpful page:
Executed this scripts (with some manual approvals in between!):
sudo certmgr -ssl -m https://go.microsoft.com sudo certmgr -ssl -m https://nugetgallery.blob.core.windows.net sudo certmgr -ssl -m https://nuget.org sudo certmgr -ssl -m https://www.myget.org/F/aspnetvnext/
later, all packages restored perfectly.
Run the web:
– next error, null reference: https://github.com/aspnet/KestrelHttpServer/issues/29
Again the ganshani.com page helped with the script:
wget http://dist.libuv.org/dist/v1.0.0-rc1/libuv-v1.0.0-rc1.tar.gz tar -xvf libuv-v1.0.0-rc1.tar.gz cd libuv-v1.0.0-rc1/ ./gyp_uv.py -f make -Duv_library=shared_library make -C out sudo cp out/Debug/lib.target/libuv.so /usr/lib/libuv.so.1.0.0-rc1 sudo ln -s libuv.so.1.0.0-rc1 /usr/lib/libuv.so.1
So maybe things would have been faster using the setup script from Punit Ganshani in the first place, which can also be found on github: https://github.com/punitganshani/ganshani/blob/master/Samples/ASPNET5.0_SampleForLinux/SetupDotNetOnLinux.sh
In the end, this was what I saw:
Next: Using http://www.omnisharp.net/ to edit the project in Sublime…